I am totally in awe. I got an award for my writing. The Liebster award, an award that goes to bloggers, like me, from other bloggers, like sweet Suerae Stein who nominated me. You can only nominate someone if you, yourself, have received the award, which means that my nominator is quite a distinguished blog writer.
I want to begin by thanking Suerae of Red Barn Artworks and the Artful Blogger. I dearly love her art work, her cute children’s book, her blog articles that touch my heart and best of all, Suerae herself. What Suerae calls her “latest ramblings” are deep looks into her soul, where I find that we are all alike, in our joys, our fears, our great days and the other kind. Best of all is that Suerae doen’t give up, no matter what. She so inspires me.
Here are the rules of the Liebster Award:
1. I have to write eleven things about myself.
2. I have to answer eleven questions about myself.
3. I have to nominate eleven up-and-coming and/or inspiring blogs for The Liebster Award
4. I have to come up with eleven questions for those I nominate. This cannot include those who nominated me, so Suerae is off the hook.
What are eleven things about me:
- I am almost 63 years old physically, but probably only 15 or 16 psychologically. Some days, I don’t think I am that old.
- As a child, I had a dog and numerous parakeets that I kept forgetting to feed. How my parents could have let them starve to death, I don’t know. I couldn’t do that when my kids got pets that became my responsibility. I didn’t learn much from the parakeet experiences either. I recently forgot to give my sister her morning meds and she didn’t remind me. I have had lots of cats and a few dogs since then. Nope, not any parakeets.
- I have wanted to be a news reporter since I was little and watched Lois Lane on Superman. I have only lately come to the realization that she probably wasn’t a reporter, but was a secretary.
- Before becoming a writer, I was a baby sitter (not so good for the kids since I wasn’t so good with the parakeets), plenty of secretarial jobs a la Lois Lane’s real job, and a person who graduated from college when I was 44.
- I was real serious about wanting to and then graduating in 1994, in which I earned a double degree in English and communications. I even graduated from the college—Texas A&M University—Kingsville—Summa cum laude. Move over Lois.
- While working on finishing college, I wrote many short stories for true romance/love magazines, getting about 8 of them published. I also wrote up to 3 weekly columns for the local newspaper, wrote for the Chamber of Commerce section of the newspaper and worked for the college’s adult in-house newspaper. I was really flying then.
- After I graduated, I kept one column and homeschooled my 3rd child for several years until she said I was (s)mothering her.
- Speaking of kids, I have 3: one I fostered, one who is in heaven and one who is my precious only daughter. She is the youngest. I also have an older sister who I take care of. Does she count?
- I am not married any more, but that’s all I am going to say on that subject.
- I live in Fort Worth, Texas with my sister, two dogs and many church friends.
- I am a whiner; but in spite of what you hear I am very, very thankful for all my blessings.
- And one to grow on since I hate odd numbers—I work for an inbound marketing agency and write and post 7 blogs a week for our clients. I enjoy creating art and layout as much as the writing. I have become Superwoman, a job I love and fear at the same time.
Now I have to answer the question Suerae wanted to know.
- How do you handle stress?
I keep cool while I have to and freak out later. Sometimes I just skip the cool part and head straight for the freak out. But I am the woman who will separate two fighting dogs, pull their teeth out of each other, clean up the wounds and then freak out.
- Who is your favorite music artist?
I am partial to Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi and Hooked on the Classics.
- Do you have any fears or phobias?
I am afraid of the dark, closed rooms, crowds of people who carry germs, going blind, getting older, loud noises that make me jump, leaving the house. Gee, when I saw that question, I didn’t think I was afraid of much stuff. Writing always reveals me to me.
- What is your favorite hobby if you have one?
Reading, hands down.
- Do you consider yourself a pessimist or an optimist (or something else)?
I am constantly being accused of being negative. So I guess I am a pessimist. Personally, I consider that being a realist. I do try to keep it under control because I hate it when people run away when they see me coming.
- Where is your favorite place that you have been?
A bed and breakfast in Buda, Texas.
- Where would you like to visit if you had the opportunity?
I want to see the water around Greece. I love the idea of such clear blue water that you can see through to the bottom. I guess I’d like to go wherever Mama Mia was shot, but I wouldn’t want to climb all those stairs.
- Who would you like to meet (that is still alive) if you had the opportunity?
My boss Jaco Grobbelaar in his lovely city of Petaluma, CA.
- What is your favorite movie or TV show?
NCIS, with Blue Collar a close second. Runners up are Person or Interest, Elementary and Law and Order: SVU.
- Who is your favorite comedian?
- If you could have any talent in the world, what would it be?
To have a happy, positive outlook.
Now comes the hard part for me—coming up with 11 nominees for the Liebster Award.
- Roy Ackerman of Cerebrations
- Alessa Bertoluzzi of Carolina HeartSprings
- Carol Tomany of Divineknits with Infiknit
- Lauren Huston of Lauren Huston
- Carolyn Cohn of CompuKol Connection
- Richard Meyer of New Media and Marketing
- David Leonhardt of David Leonhardt’s SEO and Social Media Marketing
- Gustavo Silva of Frugal Science
- Alicia Rades of CopyPress Community
- Lilach Bullock of Sociable.co.uk
- Martha Giffen of Martha Giffen
11 Questions for our awardees to answer:
- What is the best blog you ever wrote? (Please share the URL)
- What is one saying or affirmation that you live by?
- Where do you hide your treats so no one else can find them?
- What is your favorite book?
- If you could invite 5 people, living or dead, to dinner with you, who would you choose?
- What scares you the most?
- How do you handle deadlines?
- Who is your favorite comedian?
- What helps keep you blogging on a rough day?
- Do you believe in space aliens? If so, how would you describe them?
- If you could have any talent you want, what would it be?
I am looking forward to see what these talented writers have to say. I want to thank Suerae again for making me think. :)